Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Fruit of Many Laborers

This was a testimony from Cheryl about how God saved a man through the faithfulness of many Christians. May it be as encouraging to you as it is to us. God bless.

Depending on how technical or should I say Theological you want to get, you could say this all started before the foundation of time. But, I'm going to fast forward to the year 2005. I was a two year old Believer at that time. We were living in Sciotoville, Ohio, attending [a local] Church.  [This church] is a small congregation of around fifty regular attendees. One of which is Bob (name changed). Bob would come to the Church services off- and -on saying hi to friends and family members who also attended.

Now, when I say that Bob would come to the services on occasion that isn't 100% true. Sure Bob would show up, he would say hi to everyone, but somewhere between the start of the sermon and the end he would leave. This troubled me, I guess this is what is referred to as a "burden for someone". I didn't know the terminology at that time but the burden became so strong that in November of 2005 I wrote Bob a long letter.

In the letter I shared him of my life prior to The Lord saving me. I told him of the peace and contentment I now experienced in the forgiveness of those sins. I wish I could say that I laid out an air tight theological explanation of the Gospel, but let's remember I was only two years old. The years passed and Bob kept that letter, a seed The Lord allowed me to plant. Little did Bob and I know, but for the next eight years when I would attend [that church], Bob would be observing me and I was watching him. On occasion, I would walk up to say hello, and Bob would always say "you know, I still have that letter you mailed me." I would smile and think to myself "Yeah but did you read it?" But I never said anything out loud, I would just smile.

Fast forward again to the year 2013. We started attending [a different] Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Pastor was preaching through the book of Ephesians on Sunday mornings, and the Sunday night service was focused on boldly sharing theGospel. The program was challenging me way beyond my comfort zone, and I hadn't even walked up and talked to anyone yet! Just the thought of handing a tract to someone or starting a Gospel conversation terrified me.

A short time after that program ended a co-worker gave me a book titled "Will Our Generation Speak" by Grace Mally. That book propelled my witnessing courage to the next level. I began leaving tracks in different places but still I had not actually spoke to anyone.

On the Sunday before Thanksgiving we were visiting family in Sciotoville and as always we planned to attend [Bob’s church]. (side note...we actually contemplated going for a long hike Sunday morning. Reasoning that, after all, Scott (my husband) was playing music at a Sunday night service. Thank you Lord for thwarting that plan by giving Scott a bad cold rendering him unable to hike!

At the Church service I noticed Bob sitting across the aisle and one row back. Throughout the service I kept thinking, if he gets up to leave I am going to follow him and witness to him. All through the service I kept an eye on him. My heart was racing because I knew his habits, he would eventually get up and leave, after all I had been watching him for the past 8 years.

This was a Communion service, so at the end of the service Communion was announced. Pastor invited all Believers around the Lord's table. As the congregation began to come forward forming a circle around the table, Bob moved back toward the door. I watched him carefully. But then he stopped and sat down with two small children playing on the floor. I continued to watch and wonder what God's plan was.

Communion began with [the Pastor] asking if anyone wanted to openly share anything. A few people confessed sin and asked for forgiveness in various aspects of their Christian walk. I have always loved this little Church for times like these. I imagine this to be like first century Church. The Bread of Communion was passed first and a prayer was said. Still Bob sat in the back only 20 feet or so away. I thought to myself, how can he sit there and watch this, is he even watching or paying attention? Glancing back I could see a troubled look on his face.

Next, the small glasses of grape juice were passed out. [The Pastor] asked a fellow Brother in Christ to pray. As [that person] began to pray, Bob began to leave. I didn't hesitate, all during the service the Holy Spirit was prompting me and I knew that The Lord wanted me to witness to Bob. With my heart racing I made my way through a few people, carrying my grape juice out the door with me. I caught up with Bob in the foyer and placed my hand on his shoulder “Bob can I talk to you." He was a little shocked and had almost a look of fear or maybe anger in his eyes, but when he saw it was me he smile and said, "sure"

We talked for about 15 minutes. I poured out my heart for his troubled soul. He cried, and admitted that he knew he was going to Hell. As he talked, I prayed for wisdom and [discernment] in all that I would say. At the end of our conversation I told him that I would continue praying for him and that I wanted him to know that I cared deeply. Bob left the Church and we headed to lunch and another Church service where Scott was singing.

All the rest of that day I couldn't stop thinking about my conversation with Bob. I talked to Scott and others about the conversation. How can a person flat out refuse the forgiveness of Christ? How can he know and admit that he is going to Hell and not repent? How can he come to Church all these years and not be saved? My father-in-law said "Cheryl, I'm proud of you and I know Bob is going to be thinking about that conversation" He went on to remind me of the scripture in 1Corinthians 3:5-7 that tells us "What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth" That made me feel good and I Prayed that God would work in Bob’s heart to give the growth and bring him to Salvation.

When we returned home from the Sunday night Church service I checked my phone for messages. I noticed a text from a friend at [Bob’s] Church, it said please call ASAP and left a number to call. [My friend] answered the phone and said "Cheryl. I have someone that wants to talk to you."

When I heard Bob’s voice I began to cry. I'll never forget his words. "Cheryl, you started something this morning, and I want you to know, I got saved today" all I could mutter out between tears of joy was PRAISE GOD!

When I reflect over the events I'm amazed at how God orchestrated them into Bob’s Salvation. Eight years ago He prompted me to plant a seed through the letter I wrote, over the years Pastor faithfully planted seeds though his sermons. Bob told me that in the past others tried to witness to him, but he would get angry and turn them away. He also said that he had been watching me and that I always seemed happy and content. Then Sunday, November 24, 2013 God allowed me to plant more seeds as I witnessed to him.

You see, God did cause Bob to think about his situation and He prompted Bob to call his son who brought the Pastor, aka "Preacher Man" as Bob affectionately calls him. The three of them talked and it was then that God gave the growth and lifted the veil from his eyes. I thank Him for allowing me to be a part of the miracle of this new birth, it's amazing that he chooses to use us, and it is encouraging!

2 Corinthians 4:3-6
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the God of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus 'sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

To God Be The Glory.

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment